Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: COSQuest Live-Action Roleplaying Game Forums :: COS Quest Rules Q&A

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Glyph Force Willing?
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, davie, Taylor
Author Post
scorch
Mon Apr 09 2018, 04:35p.m.
Registered Member #125

When re-reading chapter 1, page 1-15 covering glyphs appears to state that anyone who sets off a glyph becomes a forced willing recipient of the spell. For example, you normally need to be willing to accept a feign death. In the rules description, the feign death appears to force willing upon the person who beaks it. They have no choice. I know sometimes people set glyphs off on purpose which could be interpreted as being willing, but often it happens accidentally, especially in the case of Symbols. In fact, the same exact thing happened this weekend in game to Mark Shirley. He accidentally set off a feign death glyph and it worked regardless of his willingness...he didn't want it to work.

So the question is, can you effectively use spells that normally need to be "willing" in glyph bindings and symbols against unwilling targets?

Thanks

Lucas
Mon Apr 09 2018, 06:16p.m.

Registered Member #1

Long story short, yes, provided they are not Beneficial or Caster-only spells per the spell descriptions.

Whether you intentionally touch a Glyph/open the Glyph binding or accidentally (knock a box off a table that is bonded with a glyph and it opens, cloak brushes against a glyph symbol, etc), unfortunately you set off the Glyph and are forced to be Willing for the effect. Intent of the player is essentially irrelevant; they are affected unless otherwise immune or protected.

As far as spells within the glyphs, Beneficial and Caster-only spells can’t be used in glyphs. Otherwise, all other spells currently are possible to put into glyphs. We did our best a few years ago to go through the spells to flag the beneficial and caster-only notations, but if one doesn’t fit please let us know and we’ll review.

The ones that come to mind that we specifically discussed as possible were Feign Death (similar to above example), Portals (if site isn’t indicated, defaults to primary portal site 1 location), Teleports (same for location teleported to must be specified by Glyph caster else default to portal site 1, and treating the player trigegering the Glyph as the caster), and spells that require phys reps like walls and circles of power that need to be in place by the Glyph caster to make sense when it’s triggered. There were obviously more but those come to mind first.
scorch
Tue Apr 10 2018, 09:05a.m.
Registered Member #125

Ok thanks! The ones you mentioned as possible are the ones I was wondering about.
Snowflake
Thu Apr 12 2018, 02:25p.m.
Registered Member #800

Just a quick thing, portal works, teleport does not, as the teleport spell is caster only, as you cannot cast it on anyone but yourself, though you do take others with you.
scorch
Thu Apr 12 2018, 03:07p.m.
Registered Member #125

Snowflake wrote ...

Just a quick thing, portal works, teleport does not, as the teleport spell is caster only, as you cannot cast it on anyone but yourself, though you do take others with you.

Just to clarify is this official ruling changing what Luke said? Or just an IMO thing?

For instance last weekend the whole town needed a teleport exclusion wand and no one had one. It would have been really nice to have been able to teleport extra people via glyphs symbols. Sure it would have cost more mana, but it would have helped town and I had the mana. Is this ok or not?
Lucas
Thu Apr 12 2018, 03:45p.m.

Registered Member #1

No, sorry for the confusion, but Jared is correct. The points I mentioned were in my head from an old discussion, and Teleports are caster-only. They state caster but just don't have the clarifying 'caster only spell tag.

It would still functions the same now PCs anyways, Glyph is the highest level Glyph which can hold 8 and under. Lesser Teleport at 7 is the only one you could use in a glyph which is caster only with no add ons.

Ultimately it's to prevent a glyph from dumping you into a volcano or the other side of the realm.

[ Edited Thu Apr 12 2018, 03:51p.m. ]
scorch
Thu Apr 12 2018, 04:21p.m.
Registered Member #125

Ok, thanks again. While we are on the topic. Area mute is used as an example in the rulebook (chapter 1 1-15), but is 9th level. I mean I could care less, so don't change it for me, but figured I would mention it.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF