Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: COSQuest Live-Action Roleplaying Game Forums :: COS Quest Rules Q&A

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Gem Question
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, davie, Taylor
Author Post
jlowes
Tue Jul 17 2018, 08:44a.m.
Registered Member #123

So...I'm one of the people that really likes gems (and cool looking items for the game, in general), but as we know, there aren't a lot being introduced into game these days. So, I have a plan, and a question that goes along with it.

Using Craftsman level 8, Make Other Item, I'd like to craft a "gem." Now, the air-quotes there are because they wouldn't officially be gems. Of course, because they're a crafted item, I could establish the initial value based on how many production I sink into them, and their value could still be increased in the same way as gems...but rather than using the Craftsman Level 6 skill "Increase Gem Value," you'd have to use the Level 10 skill "Increase Item Value." So, that part is pretty straight forward.

My question is this: Can I embed the "item tag" information in the gem, as is done with the "actual" gems? I'd like to use these in in-game jewelry or as a part of other items eventually, and I'd hate to have to duct-tape big honkin' tags to each relatively small gem. To be clear, I'll handle the making of the phys-reps. The club doesn't have to foot the bill for them, find a supplier, etc. I just want to make awesome looking items for myself and others in the game. The same question will apply, I imagine, when I start making in-game jewelry, as well. If I can embed the item number and/or club logo (whatever you tell me is necessary for item tracking), it will make the props look a lot better/cleaner.

Thanks for reading and offering any help/advice/info!

[ Edited Tue Jul 17 2018, 09:03a.m. ]
jlowes
Tue Jul 17 2018, 08:48a.m.
Registered Member #123

The more I think about it, the more I think this question applies to almost any small(er) item that I make. (where I make it an in-game item AND I make the phys-rep) For example; if I make one of my fairy bottles as an in-game item worth a gold, It would look silly (and be inconvenient, I imagine) to keep a full-size item tag to it. It would be much simpler (and cleaner looking) if I could embed the item tag info in/on the item somewhere.
jlowes
Tue Jul 17 2018, 03:13p.m.
Registered Member #123

Oh, and to clarify, I know the club isn't looking for a new source for gems. That's fine, though I'd love to see more in game. These would, strictly speaking, be "other items" as created by the level 8 Craftsman skill. (Which is why my question supplies to other items as well as these faux-gems.) Any significantly small item, in my opinion, could benefit from having the tag info integrated into the item itself. Rings, brooches, and other jewelry would all look significantly less cool if they had a full sized item tag attached to them with shipping tape.

[ Edited Tue Jul 17 2018, 03:17p.m. ]
dave
Tue Jul 17 2018, 04:30p.m.

Registered Member #6

Right now I would have to say no since the club would have no control over what was issued/made/value of item, etc. Wild example, 100 fairy bottles are made at a gold apiece. Where is the control, what would limit it, who paid the initial gold value in game. The items would eventually be cashed in so in game money could get out of control fast. I see too many issues right now that would need to be solved before we went that way. Like the "idea" though.
jlowes
Tue Jul 17 2018, 05:06p.m.
Registered Member #123

dave wrote ...

Wild example, 100 fairy bottles are made at a gold apiece. Where is the control, what would limit it, who paid the initial gold value in game.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I am making the Phys-reps, Doc Foster is crafting the in-game items, using the Craftsman skill, Make Other Item.

dave wrote ...

I see too many issues right now that would need to be solved before we went that way.

Other than the issue above, what else can you think of? I'd be happy to work with you in whatever way I can to get this resolved. Here's what I have in mind, let me know what you think would need to be changed.

The Process:
1) I conceive of an item I'd like to craft. (In this example, say, a glowing gemstone.)
2) I go through the in-game production process.
3) At the following event, I am issued an item card for the item I crafted. It is now in the database/on the item list like any other legal in-game item in the game.
4) After the event, I embed the information from the item tag in the phys-rep when I make it. Now, by "embed," I mean, in this case, I would either suspend a tag with the info in the phys-rep (as in-game gems did, last time I saw them) or etch/mark the info on the surface of the phys-rep. In the event of a phys-rep that's not transparent, I would stick to writing/etching the information on the surface of the object.
4) Changing the item - This is the only part that (potentially) adds a step for the club. If, after the item is out of my hands, someone decides to change the phys-rep (as people sometimes do), they would have to turn the phys-rep into the club (who would throw it away/destroy it), and a new tag would need to be issued to the owner of the in-game item.

dave wrote ...

Like the "idea" though.

Uhhhh...thanks? I hope you "approve it." (Just didn't understand the air quotes in that last bit.)
dave
Tue Jul 17 2018, 08:10p.m.

Registered Member #6

Sorry but I only see problems and if I do that for you I have to do it for anyone else that wants too. The air quotes were because I like the idea. The issue is that I only see too many possibilities for it to go south and I lot more recording/paperwork for the club that there is too much already.
jlowes
Tue Jul 17 2018, 09:52p.m.
Registered Member #123

Well, ok. So can you tell me (since I've been away for a long [censored] time) how item tags are handled for small items these days? Say Doc crafts a ring; does the player just have to carry a separate item tag for it? (since it's too small,I would imagine, to tape a regular tag to it)

[ Edited Tue Jul 17 2018, 09:54p.m. ]
jlowes
Wed Jul 18 2018, 09:02p.m.
Registered Member #123

For the record, I completely misread the part of the crafting rules where a PC created item's value is locked in at the time of its creation. Sorry about that. Like I said, trying to catch up on many missed years of rules.

[ Edited Wed Jul 18 2018, 09:03p.m. ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF