Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: COSQuest Live-Action Roleplaying Game Forums :: COS Quest Rules Q&A

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
AoE Poison/Martyr/Damage Reduction
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, davie, Taylor
Author Post
Brif Stoneworth
Fri Jun 28 2019, 08:31a.m.
Registered Member #52

If an AoE 8 Poison effect goes off and it's martyred by someone with Immunity to Poison and Half Damage from Traps - what happens?

As far as I can tell by skill descriptions and chap 1 the martyr takes 4 damage and anyone standing around with zero armor/costume gets poisoned. But since poison has to get through to body and no damage was taken to hit body, is the poison applied to the masses. If it is, is it then a 'weak poison' (zero initial and zero damage per 5 min) that only stops healing from working on the masses until cured?

Martyr states effects still affect the masses but only the martyr takes damage. Poison summarized is it must damage to body to affect. But Poison also states that Poison effects from Ingested Potions (or Contact or Projectile Potions if used with Potion Mastery), Gas, or Magic sources ignore Magical Protections and Armor, directly affecting natural Body.

[ Edited Fri Jun 28 2019, 08:54a.m. ]
Lucas
Sat Jun 29 2019, 10:37a.m.

Registered Member #1

Okay, breaking it down as best I can since it's tricky. In the event of (attack damage) - 'Poison' - (poison damage).

For an AoE poison that does not do any attack damage, there's no damage to Martyr. The poison damage would only take effect when it affects a target. Since the special effects of an attack cannot be martyred, any other targets in the AoE are still affected by the poison, which affects them normally. Individual immunities and resistances kick in, armor penetration only applies to non-gas poisons, etc. The user with Martyr is affected individually just like all other targets.

Let's just say there's something like a poison meteor that does '50 blunt - Poison 20 (not gas)' in a 20 ft radius., the user can Martyr the 50 points only, and everyone else and the user in the AoE doesn't take the 50 blunt but is affected by the poison damage normally (armor of 20+ pts stops it, etc.).

If a 50 Poison 20 gas breath weapon, the same applies as above except everyone is affected by the Poison 20 since the gas bypasses armor. If immune to poison or resistant, then those targets don't take any damage from the martyred 50 points or the poison damage.
Lucas
Sat Jun 29 2019, 10:40a.m.

Registered Member #1

Potion Mastery would allow the thrown or contact potion cannot be an AoE (only plot traps allow for AoE poison traps) so don't factor into the Martyr discussion. If the poison was applied to an AoE attack (ballista bolt, catapult rock, etc.) per marshal call (and probably requires more than a single poison potion), it would still be applied to a 'weapon' and must bypass armor points and protections normally, even if the damage was 'MASSIVE' (which cannot be blocked but still doesn't bypass armor and protections).
Lucas
Sat Jun 29 2019, 10:42a.m.

Registered Member #1

There isn't a PC Poison 0 effect, though you may encounter it through plot, etc. The effect would be as you said though, cannot be healed until the poison is cured but no recurring damage is taken every 10 minutes, and the target would still know something was 'wrong'.
Lucas
Sat Jun 29 2019, 10:43a.m.

Registered Member #1

I think I caught all the situations but if not please let me know!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF