Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: COS General Club Forum :: LAN, Console, & Online MMO Gaming

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
[poll] CoS Hosted Voice Server
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, Brian Abels, Taylor
Author Post
Moorayle
Wed Aug 08 2012, 07:36p.m.
Registered Member #25

Which voice server program would you like to see Circle of Swords use?
Ventrillo

Teamspeak

Starting very shortly, the Circle of Swords Gaming Guild will sponser a hosted voice server for member use. The provider we will be using offers two different voice programs, Ventrillo and Teamspeak. While both programs are roughly the same, some people have a preference for one over the other. Please vote for which one you would like to use.

Once we have determined which program to use, connection information and server rules will be posted.

This server will be up for one year, and if there is sufficient interest, will be continued.

Auberon
Wed Aug 08 2012, 11:12p.m.
Registered Member #836

Awesome idea! I don't know either program so no preference, though I will participate once its up and running.
Ikkadian (Pat)
Thu Aug 09 2012, 07:21a.m.
Registered Member #134

I voted for Ventrilo.

Ventrilo has always seemed easier to get set up to me, and even easier to explain to newer folks how to set up and start using it.

And for some reason, having virtual surround blah blah blah on my laptop, I would have to tweak the audio settings of teamspeak, where as Ventrilo has worked straight outta the box.

I am assuming this server will be strictly for the CoS group? being setup for someones online gaming group but a room will be set aside for the CoS group?
Moorayle
Thu Aug 09 2012, 04:45p.m.
Registered Member #25

I have used both Ventrillo and Teamspeak. I wish I could somehow combine aspects of each, because they both have things I like that the other one does not. One big plus for Teamspeak that Luke pointed out to me last night is that there are a few plug-ins available for the CoS website that would allow a person viewing our website to see who is on the voice server. There are also a few control panel plugins that would make admin-ing it easier too! Ventrillo does not have those plugins.

And to answer Patrick's question about use and server rooms, the server will be a 50 person professionally hosted server open to CoS members to use as they will. I will set up multiple open channel rooms so that multiple groups can use it when they wish. I can also set up temporary private rooms that are password protected for things such as Plot meetings or private gaming sessions. Any member that would like one set up for such things could PM me to request that.

We are restricting to CoS members only, but I will link to the membership paypal on the voice server. Only five dollars to become a member if they aren't already!

[ Edited Thu Aug 09 2012, 04:48p.m. ]
Ikkadian (Pat)
Thu Aug 09 2012, 09:28p.m.
Registered Member #134

Moorayle wrote ...

I have used both Ventrillo and Teamspeak. I wish I could somehow combine aspects of each, because they both have things I like that the other one does not. One big plus for Teamspeak that Luke pointed out to me last night is that there are a few plug-ins available for the CoS website that would allow a person viewing our website to see who is on the voice server. There are also a few control panel plugins that would make admin-ing it easier too! Ventrillo does not have those plugins.

And to answer Patrick's question about use and server rooms, the server will be a 50 person professionally hosted server open to CoS members to use as they will. I will set up multiple open channel rooms so that multiple groups can use it when they wish. I can also set up temporary private rooms that are password protected for things such as Plot meetings or private gaming sessions. Any member that would like one set up for such things could PM me to request that.

We are restricting to CoS members only, but I will link to the membership paypal on the voice server. Only five dollars to become a member if they aren't already!

There is also an e107 plugin for ventrilo, I recall using it once for a clan I hosted for several years back.

And, both Ventril and Teamspeak have mobile apps to be able to join the voice servers on the go.
I haven't played with them though, so dunno much about the apps.

So really it just seems to be a matter of preference as they do indeed both have the same stuff.
Tim R - VENKMAN
Fri Aug 10 2012, 04:39p.m.
Registered Member #169

We used ts for a person during my plot meeting. it was very helpful
Moorayle
Thu Aug 16 2012, 05:45p.m.
Registered Member #25

Ok, TS wins out. Will post when it is up and running.
Moorayle
Sat Sep 01 2012, 05:43p.m.
Registered Member #25

Ok, the club now has a TS3 server. I need to configure the server and will post the connection information. Will be ready by the convention.
Tim R - VENKMAN
Mon Sep 03 2012, 09:04p.m.
Registered Member #169

Sweet!
Moorayle
Sun Sep 09 2012, 12:03p.m.
Registered Member #25

The Circle of Swords Teamspeak Server is now up and running. Download the client-side program for your operating system at Teamspeak 3 Downloads

Once downloaded, the CoS TS3 server address is
66.55.131.26:9264

The password is
circleofswords

[ Edited Wed Oct 24 2012, 04:47p.m. ]

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF