Forums

The Circle of Swords Gaming Guild :: Forums :: COS General Club Forum :: COS Club

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
A possible history lesson - 20 years in the making
Go to page  1 2
Moderators: Lucas, dave, Curt R, Brian Abels, Taylor
Author Post
Tonest Denonbor
Wed Feb 20 2008, 10:32a.m.
Registered Member #807

I figured after 20 years of the Circle of Swords gaming guild I figured now would be a good time for those that are original or at least been around for awhile to give some history lessons how exactly the guild got started and maybe a few stories from over the years about how we grew and expanded. I have only been around for about 3 or 4 years so I know I am not one that can enlightened many however I know of quite a few that have been around for every or almost everybody convention. Thanks in advance I'd love to read some of the great stories and ancedotes about exciting times over the years from a fledgling gaming convention to what I consider the best in the Pittsburgh area.

Grim
Sat Feb 23 2008, 11:16a.m.
Registered Member #76

In 1983, three men, who gathered their friends around a game table on a regular basis, decided to make things 'official' and organize a Dungeons and Dragons role-playing club. Needing a name for the club, these three men put on their thinking caps and came up with the DCB Club, or the Dave Schnur-Chuck Jennings-Bill Lucas Club, since they were the DM's at the time.

In 1986, the Butler Clearview Mall's two book stores, Waldenbooks and B Dalton's Bookseller, asked the DCB Club to sponsor a gaming event held in the hallways of the Mall. The event was to publicize TSR products and the AD&D Game, and raise money for charity. At about this same time, the name 'DCB Club' had lost its zing, and a new, snazzier club name was thought up: The Circle of Swords.

While preparing for the Mall event, a pattern began to develop. We were able to secure eight game masters to handle eight game tables each holding eight players. It seemed only natural to have our new logo a circle with 8 swords lying inside. This 'Circle of Swords' has been our trademark ever since.

Since that first event, we have grown to be one of the largest RPGA sanctioned gaming clubs in the world, with over 300 active members each year and several thousand gamers involved over the years. We have managed and administrated several one day and multi-day gaming conventions of our own, and assisted other clubs across the tri-state area with their conventions.

Each year the membership elects a board of directors to oversee the conventions and other club business. This seven member panel meets bi-monthly and consists of a Guildmaster, Assistant Guildmaster, Scribe, Treasurer, and three 'At Large Member' positions.

In 1991, we added the latest in role-playing gaming, Live Action AD&D; COS Quest. Each month, COS members don their characters' costumes and head out to the PA woodlands for a weekend or day of adventure that otherwise would be played out at somebody's dining room table. The club has acquired several props over the years to assist your imagination while battling beholders, dragons and other monsters.

Over the years, the club has become well known for its original adventures. This reputation began at the mall with The Bell of Zetar, which was eventually published in the RPGA's Polyhedron magazine. Today, the club continues to produce excellent original scenarios for each and every convention. Our AD&D 'Wizard' events are popular among convention attendees.

In 1997, we introduced COSWorld, our original ongoing campaign world. The land of Kysie is home to player characters who continue from one great adventure to the next, growing in level and expertise at the same time.

The Adventurer, the club's newsletter, was recently redesigned and is published and sent to all club members bi-monthly. Club members can submit articles for print at any time at no charge. Advertisements, either personal ads or game store ads, are also free.

As we look toward the future, the COS continues to plan extraordinary gaming events to be enjoyed by both members and non-members alike. For high quality gaming entertainment, look to the Circle of Swords Gaming Guild.
Tonest Denonbor
Sat Feb 23 2008, 05:26p.m.
Registered Member #807

Anybody have any stories of their own of any certain memories from over the years. Maybe a favorite convention or something or memorable quest event perhaps? Thanks.
meriae
Mon Feb 25 2008, 09:00a.m.
Registered Member #11

Come to the con, that's the best way to collect these types of stories... everyone, and I mean everyone, has at least one story they'd love to share.
Hex
Mon Feb 25 2008, 09:22a.m.
Registered Member #49

once I had to hide under my bed because flaudi came in to kill me in my sleep and they would have had i not hid. this was in like 93 when cabins were in game 24/7...Boy weren't feign death potions were great back then...
Tonest Denonbor
Mon Feb 25 2008, 06:05p.m.
Registered Member #807

Yeah but I play all the time I figured it would be a nice thing to talk about.

That's great. Wow that would be nuts to be playing 24/7... awesome though.
Chappy
Mon Feb 25 2008, 09:14p.m.
Registered Member #39

I remember playing a Shadowrun Game, where after much bad (but fun) roleplay, total incompetence by the players, and the GREATEST PLAN of ALL TIME. And don't forget the chanting, and dirty looks from nearby tables. We "broke" the GM ( Paul K).

The GREATEST PLAN of ALL TIME...... We go in the front door, we Kill everything we see, we leave.

Dena
Mon Feb 25 2008, 10:33p.m.
Registered Member #157

"The GREATEST PLAN of ALL TIME...... We go in the front door, we Kill everything we see, we leave."

Wasn't that your vampire character's plan at the one-day too? LOL!
Tonest Denonbor
Tue Feb 26 2008, 08:53a.m.
Registered Member #807

haha Hey it seems like a great plan to me. I'm sure we have all had our groups where our entire goal was to just kill everything. I remember a story a friend told me once of how they were asked to help an older farmer out with a kobold investation. They of course decided to kill the farmer. This went on pretty much with every event the ST told them until the ST was feld up and had a group of lvl ones meet up with a prismatic dragon. Gotta love playing a deranged serial killer hehe.
Chappy
Wed Feb 27 2008, 04:58p.m.
Registered Member #39

Nazaa,

It's the only plan I know.
Go to page  1 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF